Who is Oxford Mainstreet Inc?
The mission of Oxford Mainstreet, Inc. is to serve as the catalyst to unify and partner with supporting organizations to promote and foster economic growth and stability within the Business Improvement District (BID) and surrounding area, while preserving Downtown Oxford’s rich historic and cultural identity.
By preserving historic charm, fostering growth, promoting a sense of community and improving image, Oxford will develop into an attractive location for investors, property owners, business owners, and residents, and become a destination point for visitors
Commitment to Diversity
A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is at the core value of Oxford Mainstreet. We understand that varied experiences help us expand our knowledge, problem solving skills, and creative freedoms in an ever changing and increasingly diverse world. Diversity, equity and inclusion are just words unless you set them into motion. We will continue to strive to make Oxford, PA a place where everyone feels welcomed.
History of OMI
- A group of passionate and dedicated leaders from the Oxford Community and local Chamber of Commerce joined together in 1999 to discuss a serious revitalization project for Oxford’s Downtown Commercial Business District.
- The idea to become an extended arm of the Oxford Area Chamber of Commerce is considered and voted on to pursue.
- A 21-member Board of Directors, Officers and Committees form under Oxford Mainstreet, Incorporated.
- In 2000 a 501 C-3 status was approved and Oxford Mainstreet, Inc. began operations under the non-profit designation.
- Initial development projects included: The commission of the “Historic Oxford Print” by Local Artist, Bruce M. Coyle, Music on Mainstreet Concert Series, Annual Downtown Clean-Up Day, A Membership Encouragement Drive and Downtown Trash removal.
- Board of Directors meetings total six (6) sessions and initial discussions and fact-finding began with the Pennsylvania Downtown Center and PA State Department of Community and Economic Development.
- OMI is funded by major contributions from area businesses and individuals.
- Foundational support and rich volunteer spirit move the project forward.
- In 2001 OMI launched oxfordmainstreet.org and prepared for future development.
- A part-time Mainstreet Manager was hired.
- OMI Board of Directors met regularly with a focus committee working to follow the National Trust for Historic Preservation and guidelines under the National Main Street Center.
- The mission and vision begin to take shape.
- Today Oxford Mainstreet, Inc. is staffed by two paid staff members and numerous volunteers.
- Throughout the year Oxford Mainstreet, Inc. organizes many events including our monthly First Friday street-fairs, Car Show and Country Christmas. We coordinate and maintain the Downtown Beautification program, monthly merchant meetings and serve as the community liaison among the various borough organizations.
- In the coming year OMI plans to increase its promotion and marketing efforts for Downtown Oxford. We currently have a strong social media presence and monthly print advertising in a local newspaper.
- Each of OMI’s committees; Design, Economic Development, Promotions and Fundraising have developed operating plans which include initiatives such as public art, updating the business toolbox and a large regional event.